Due to continued growth, we currently have an ongoing exciting opportunity for an Electronics Design Engineer to become part of our expanding Engineering Team. We are looking for an enthusiastic, dedicated high calibre candidate who is looking for a long-term position within a forward thinking, innovative company.
Milliamp Technologies is located in the picturesque city of Lancaster – one of the most historic and beautiful cities in England. Learn more about our City on Our Lancaster Story. As well as the city being an excellent place to live, we are 45 minutes drive from Manchester with it’s Victorian city and international airport, 2.5 hours by direct express train to London, around 30 minutes drive to the Lake District with its epic scenery and outdoor pursuits, including mountain fellwalking, climbing, skiing and rambling, and 15 minutes to the tranquil ancient Forest of Bowland just a few miles east of Lancaster – a hidden gem of the north containing the Duchy of Lancaster‘s (HM the Queen) personal estate.
Back at Milliamp, you will be responsible for a wide range of electronic engineering activities covering all stages of the engineering lifecycle; from concept through to product testing to volume manufacture. We have a diverse range of customers – from white goods to defence – so we are keen to find the right candidate who wants to be involved in interesting and exciting cutting edge design work. Browse the Design pages of our website to understand more about the design work we do.
The role will be primarily based in Lancaster, however some flexible/home working may be possible.
More information about our business can be found on our website.
Note: to attract the most motivated and high quality individuals we prefer job applications from candidates direct. If you are a recruitment company in order to have any discussion we require you to send us 3 references from companies where you have successfully placed candidates with exactly the same job title and job specification.
Salary: £20,000 – £40,000 a year dependant on depth of knowledge and experience
Electronic Design Engineers Responsibilities :
- Develop new designs and manage from prototype through to manufacture
- Ability to design electronics for a wide range of industries with different types of technology solutions – from simple analog to complex digital.
- Understanding of Design for EMC
- Undertaking detailed component research, evaluation and selection
- Schematic capture and PCB layout design
- Some firmware programming and test.
- Investigating field and production issues and implement corrective actions in designs.
Knowledge requirements: –
- Minimum Level 4 (e.g. HNC or equivalent) in electronics engineering or similar subject, tho Level 6 (e.g. BEng degree or higher) would be advantageous. An equivalent level of knowledge and experience may be acceptable – please ask for details.
- Solid knowledge of circuit design, engineering mathematics, and PCB layout essential.
- Preferably 2 years similar industry experience.
- Knowledge of electronics hardware design for a variety of design areas including analogue, digital (e.g. microcontrollers – ARM, PIC, 8051), radio (e.g. Bluetooth, LoRa, ANT, wifi), interfacing/wired comms (e.g. RS485, CANBus, Modbus), low power battery powered design.
- Circuit schematic capture and PCB layout skills with CAD tools essential – experience with Altium or KiCad would be an advantage.
- Experience of C for firmware development would be an advantage
- Experience of RF and/or high-speed digital circuit design would be an advantage.
- Experience of open source software would be an advantage.
Personal requirements: –
- Ability to effectively diagnose and solve problems with existing and new electronic designs, both on paper and on real hardware.
- A flexible approach with excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work directly with customers to progress design activities and resolve any issues.
- Ability to work unsupervised and able to solve problems both individually and as part of a team.
- Organised and methodical approach with excellent attention to detail.